MAY: Monthly Home Maintenance Guide
Here’s your Monthly Home Maintenance Guide for May
The month of May ushers in the full glory of spring with abundant flowers, sunshine and warmth. As we welcome the month, here are a few details to address so we can enjoy it to the fullest.
Who first beholds the light of day In Spring’s sweet flowery month of May And wears an Emerald all her life, Shall be a loved and happy wife. – Anonymous
READY TO CALM THE CHAOS IN YOUR HOME?
Gain the confidence you need to easily get control over your home with these life-changing 7 habits. Get your free guide below.
To wrap up your spring cleaning, here are some last-minute details to address.
- Check your home safety devices – smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries and test that all devices are in working order.
- Give your bedding a thorough cleaning in each room. Here are some helpful hints.
- Rotate your winter coats into an unused closet or toward the back of the closets, and bring the light weight ones up front.
Donate unwanted ones to charity.
- Freshen and clean your entryways. Give your doors a good wash and freshen paint if needed. Remember to wipe down the inside of the door jambs as well as the threshold. Clean or replace your welcome mats. Give any light fixtures a nice cleaning and be sure bulbs are in working order.
You might want to consider hiring professionals for some of the exterior maintenance, but you can do likely these tasks on your own.
- Address pest control. Consider your area for pests that can damage your home or be an inconvenience for outdoor living: wasps, rodents, termites, and deer or rabbits that can invade your gardens. Check roofs, attics, and crawl spaces as well.
- Maintain your HVAC system. Replace filters and service as needed.
- Be sure propane tanks are filled for grills, fire pits and patio heaters. Have an extra on hand as a back up in case you suddenly run out.
- Check the structure of your decks and fences and look for repairs, and touchup paint and stain requirements.
- Bring out the outdoor umbrellas. Clean and check for structural soundness.
- Freshen up the cushions on your outdoor furniture to make sure they are fresh and clean.
- Welcome birds to your yard and put feeders and bird baths into the garden.
- Begin planting your outdoor planters with beautiful flowers.
- Get your flower hanging baskets and plan your watering schedule.
- Begin your lawn maintenance program.
- Plant your summer bulbs.
Dividing your household maintenance into monthly tasks, addresses them each year so they won’t slip through the cracks, eliminates the overwhelm and helps you to enjoy the days ahead. It’s what I like to call, Set it and Forget it!
Here is the link for April in case you missed it.
“Sweet April showers, Do spring May flowers.” – Thomas Tusser