Make Running Your House Easy through Problem Solving
Running a home can be hard, leaving you to feel overwhelmed, stressed out and stuck. But a good home management system can help.
LOVE LIVING IN YOUR HOME
Your home should be a place to rest, recharge, host loved ones, and create memories.
But right now, it’s more like a heavy, never-ending, energy drain.
Create space in your home, life and mind, without the stress! Join the membership that makes decluttering so fun and easy, it's like a breath of fresh air.
It starts with a Desire
Many of us grow up having visions of our future that often include family and a home. Visions of social gatherings, a great yard maybe even children and a new car. And when we achieve those goals and the happy days in our vision, there’s such a wonderful sense of arrival and accomplishment.
Then, there is a Problem
Yet the reality often ends up being that a large majority are left feeling disappointed and disillusioned. Why? You may ask yourself, “Why do I have everything I hoped for and now I feel so frustrated?” The bottom line is that managing and maintaining it probably wasn’t part of the vision or plan.
You know what guys, the fact is, running a home can be hard. It can be frustrating; it can be tiresome, and it can also feel very boring at times. Each day we can wake and face the same challenges that sat in front of us the day before and we’re supposed to meet it with a fresh face and a smile and do it all over again. What’s more, it’s a 24/7 responsibility.
So, what makes is it so hard? After all, washing a dish isn’t hard, turning on the washing machine isn’t hard, nether is opening the mail.
What makes it hard is approaching these tasks without a proper system to manage it, which allows the tasks to grow out of control. These small innocent tasks have turned out to be these dreadful thieves of joy that have invaded our homes and lives and grown into an obstacle that we can’t seem to get around.
But there is a solution!
You guessed it, a home management system that actually works. But before we get there, let’s start from the beginning.
It’s safe to say that you’re probably reading this because you’re struggling with running your home and you need some help. Believe it or not, for most of us it can take a lot of courage to accept help and have someone to walk us through the process. And I just want to say that I’m so glad you’re here because I know I can help you. Please let me assure you, that you should never be embarrassed for not being able to figure it out on your own. You are not alone.
There is help
I’m sharing this because I was exactly where you are, but I didn’t have help. I had to figure it out the hard way. But I did figure it out – in fact, I mastered this. And I can help you master it too.
I want you to believe me when I tell you that while running a home can be hard, it doesn’t have to be! It fact it can be as simple as getting ready for your day. And what’s even better is when you learn the right way to manage, it lasts. Gone will be the days of searching for the solution to managing your home, because you will be free to live!
So let’s learn the 5 easy steps to problem-solve your home management.
I call this problem solving technique SERVE, because at DTH, our core belief is that your home should serve and support you, your family and your lifestyle – not you serving it.
This is exciting! Let’s get started.
IDENTIFY YOUR ACTUAL SITUATION. What is going on here?
Most of you have identified that there is an issue, but if you haven’t, here’s the first thing to really focus in on – your gut. I want you to notice in your gut, when you keep running into the same stressor day after day. It could be big or maybe you have become used to living with the situation that it is barely noticeable. Identifying the issue is the first step. You’ll want to connect with your feelings about the issue in this step.
- Go get yourself a cup of something that soothes you, get into your war room, and start writing down what is really happening.
- Ask yourself what the situation is. Free flow in paragraph form like you were chatting on the phone to your friend. Seems simple right? Not always. What you want here is to give yourself permission to say it like it is. This step comes with a warning. When you start identifying these problem areas it’s like opening the flood gates and it all starts pouring out. It’s a good thing though, so don’t stifle it. Hone in on the feeling a bit because it will give you clues to both desires and obstacles. But do yourself a favor and keep it simple.
- Lastly, narrow it down into a simple, clear statement of the situation.
EVALUATION – EVALUATE YOUR PROCESS. What are you doing, specifically, that isn’t working?
In this step focus on behavior. What actions, or inactions, are contributing to the problem.
- Write out what you have been doing that isn’t working in a list format.
- Write out what you aren’t doing – this is harder. Get to maybe what you are avoiding if you can. This will help step 3.
- STOP trying to do the same thing. Do yourself a favor and toss it forever – don’t do this ever again. It isn’t serving you, and in fact it is disserving you.
- Do yourself another favor and give yourself credit for trying to fix it and thank God that at least you know what doesn’t work.
ROOT – PINPOINT THE ISSUE. What is the root cause?
This is the bottom line. It is the place between the actual situation and the desired situation. The root cause is why the system is missing or broken. The real problem here is… wait for it…
The System that You put in place is not working, because you aren’t clear on what could be holding you back.
- Spend some time here to honestly evaluate what is holding you back? It’s almost always your fears, beliefs or self talk that sabotage us. Sometimes it’s just not taking time or knowing how – but not usually.
- Prompts – dig deep. Fear of missing out, fear of losing something else, fear of failing, fear of the truth or fear of judgment. Guilty for saying no to someone or something else? Unmet needs that could be superseding the responsibilities?
VISION – GENERATE YOUR VISION. What do you want?
This is your value statement that drives you to your desired situation, your peaceful place. This is the place of your dreams, your well-oiled machine. Let yourself unleash the reality you are going to create! It is your vision statement and it’s fun! Really, envision your life the way you want it to be. The backbone here is your values. It’s your why and it’s important.
- Write out your vision. Daydream a little – unicorns and picket fences if you want!
- Focus on your WHY – your values behind this.
- How will this pay off for you? What will you avoid or overcome? What will you gain?
- Be intentional about what you want and what you stand to gain.
- Be your best friend here. Encourage yourself and focus on the end result.
ESTABLISH – ESTABLISH YOUR STRUCTURE. How do you plan your system for success?
2 key words here. Plan and System.
- Plan – Take your time here cause this is where the gold is… Abe Lincoln said, “give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I’ll spend the first hour sharpening the axe.” Or maybe you’ve heard the expression, it’s 80% planning and 20% execution. Planning is important here, so take some time. BUT do not get stuck in analysis paralysis. Get a plan.
- System – CREATE A SYSTEM. Don’t buy more groceries without a plan and expect a different result.
DONE! It’s really that simple.
When you can learn how to find the source of the problem THEN you can find the right solution. Realistically you cannot keep applying solutions that don’t work. Nor can you keep avoiding fixing the issues.
You do not have to live with buried stresses that you have gotten so used to that they are ignored or blatant stresses that steal your joy and get in your way of living your best life.
These 5 simple steps might take some practice, but it will free you into designing your home to work for you instead of you working for it.
So, start now by STOPPING! And get your systems to SERVE you.
Here‘s to a happy new day and happy planning! ?